If it can, can it mean "Reminiscent of France"? Because that's what today has been.
I feel like I've adjusted fairly well to being back in the States: I drive my car instead of walking around the block, I eat too much food all the time, I speak with a more Southern dialect than I would've been caught dead using in Aix. But, sometimes, there are things that pop out and remind me that I did just spend an incredible seven months abroad.
I woke up and put on my Zara skirt and my sleeveless shirt that I've had for years that says "regarde-toi" on it in pretty script. That's fairly French. Then I went to eat lunch at Newk's with my parents, and since they have Orangina and since I'm in Orangina withdrawals, I had an Orangina, which reminded me very much of being at Newks. I think it would've reminded me more of France if it had been canned, but you can't have everything.
After I left Newk's, I went to run errands for Mom. I ran into the mother of one of my high school classmates, who asked me what I'd been up to, and I mentioned that I'd just gotten back from time abroad. (FRANCE!)
From there, I went to the mall to pick up a gift. As I was leaving, I decided to peruse the shoe department (who knows when you might need shoes), and a lady working looked at my shirt and then double-took at my shirt and said, "regarde-toi. C'est francais!" mostly to herself.
In a past life, I would have been incredibly self-conscious and smiled and moved on, but my French withdrawals might be worse than my Orangina withdrawals, so I asked her (in French) if she spoke French. Turns out, she IS French, from the banlieu (suburb) west of Paris, and she's moving back June 10th. I told her I'd been in Aix, and she said that it was a beautiful place. It's really nice to encounter people who speak French in Jackson, Mississippi.
All in all, it's been a Freminiscent day.
New favorite word. They had kirs and a pizza called Royale at a resto we went to the other night here, but of course the Royale wasn't a royale at all and had egg on it. Not Capri, not capri at all.
ReplyDelete:) Glad you found a Francophone!