Friday, October 15, 2010

TGIF! MàDC'estV?*

I finally had some classes! I went to several courses today beginning with a 10:00 course in which I "introduced myself" (a task which really consists of saying my name and letting the students as me questions in English). After about 10 minutes in that class, the teacher sent me away because they were doing other things. I had another class with her later, and it went about the same way. The other two classes I had today were with Madame Trotman, and I ended up staying the whole hour both times. There was a bit of the same introduction, and they continued studying out of their book.

The second class was a voluntary FCE class. FCE stands for... First Cambridge Examination? Maybe? The test seems to be akin to our OPI (Oral Proficiency Interview), and is given by the University of Cambridge to acknowledge proficiency in English speech. Mrs. Trotman said that they theoretically don't fail people for their accents, but that in the past they've been known to give lower marks for thicker accents. I'm not sure that I'll be as much help as Chris in this class - we're in this one together - because my accent is not, in fact, English.

I went and ate at the canteen with Joanna and Chris; I have two meals left on my card. It's about time to go pay my rent and recharge my meal card.

After that, many other assistants came over to our place and we drank some wine and generally socialized before we went out to Wohoo!, an English Pub that we had heard had karaoke. There is little funnier than the videos that they French put behind the karaoke lyrics. If it were the original music video, it would be considerably less amusing. However, they choose to have mediocre actors and actresses being overly sultry mixed in with montages of countrysides, sheep, and the ocean. We couldn't really make sense of how that had anything to do with, "My Heart Will Go On" or "Barbie Girl."

I got back home around midnight and am waiting fairly impatiently to hear word about twin babies in Atlanta. It seems the most likely that they'll arrive while I am at my deepest point of sleep, in which case I will see pictures in the morning.

*Merci à Dieu C'est Vendredi! (Thank God It's Friday! en français, probably)

No comments:

Post a Comment