Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Vacances de Toussaint - Part 3: Cassis and Calanques, and No Internet

The Internet at home went out last Thursday night. We've been scavenging for it by coming to our friends' houses and going to Internet cafés to stay in touch with everyone since then, and we hope that it will be fixed tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.

Last Friday, a group of us went to a town on the Mediterranean called Cassis. We saw the sea, and then we walked out to Calanques, which means "inlet," although I'm not sure in what language. It's used more as a title than as a noun here. Cassis was beautiful, and I took a lot of photos, some of which I have shared below.

We had a misunderstanding about bus times and ended up having to take a train the second half of our trip, which meant that we had to walk a mile or two from the train station to centre ville once we arrived at Cassis, but getting to the beach was definitely worth it.




As you can see in that last picture, the beach is rocks, not sand. I brought one home. Just the pretty one, though.

When we left the beach, we walked to Calanques, which is truly breathtaking. There are cliffs that go down into the water and cliffs that go up into the sky, and it's really, really incredible. I'm not even sure my photos do it justice. In fact, I'm confident they don't. But, I'll give it a shot anyway:




And then on Friday night we did Halloween. We only took a couple of pictures there, but here's the best one we've got. We had 4 cameras all taking pictures on a 10-second timer at the same time. It was incredible:


And then I've bummed around and done laundry and hung out with friends and tried to get Internet and things like that for the rest of the week. School starts again tomorrow! I'll try to keep everyone updated. Again, cross your fingers for the internet thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment