So, I'm really excited because my parents are going to be here in a couple of hours! They left last night around midnight my time (that's 5-something you Jackson people's time) and I got several text messages through the night that assure me that all is going smoothly.
I have been scanning articles about the debacle with security scanners in the airports, but I didn't really realize that it was a nation-wide problem until I was talking to Jason last night. I tend to not care what the security people say (as long as they don't try to throw my things away!) / what I have to do to get through since it's all part of travel, but I'd be interested to hear some other (non-news) perspectives on the body-scanner vs. pat-down issue in the airports.
I'm going to head down into town. The Christmas market is here, which is REALLY exciting. There's a second carousel in the middle of town (in addition to the permanent one that's next to the tourism office) and there are apparently going to be a lot of activities and special things on the weekends from now until Christmas. It's getting to be a fun time of year, and I'm really pleased that now is the time my parents are able to come visit my city. The lights on the Cours Mirabeau are spectacular, and the general atmosphere is lovely. I'll post pictures when I get down and take some.
I'm working on my paper for my MC graduate field studies. It's supposed to be around 30 pages; right now it's at 15, but I have enough material in my head to make it 60. It's just the process of putting fingers to keyboard to document (there's a new way of doing things). Somebody needs to be responsible for nagging me until it's done. Jason's doing a very good job, and I appreciate it. I have a couple of interviews with friends to record and transcribe, and a conclusion to write, and I should be finished. Soon.
I think I'm going to head into town and shop a bit before I head to the airport to pick up my parents! I'm not sure where we're all we're going to get to go while we're here, but I can assure it will be exciting. I hope to have lots of photos and plenty of good stories.
Ah parent visits are the best! Your soooo lucky to have your Christmas markets already! We have a carnival but no market yet! Anxiously awaiting!
ReplyDelete